Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Freedom

I think one of the coolest lessons that I have learned as a Christian, is that of freedom. Typically, when you think of Christianity, you think of a religion with lots of rules. Rules that sometimes don't make sense, but somehow make you a better person. Rules that sometimes will even make you a better person, than those around you. ( or so we are taught). And that is not what Christianity is about at all.

As a Christian living in this freedom, I don't have a bunch of rules. Does this mean that I can do whatever I want to? Yes, it does. As anyone can do whatever they want to. But, we have to realise that there are consequences to our actions. Everything we do affects everyone around us. That being said, I don't do whatever I want to. The results would not be good, the consequences would not be worth the actions.

So what do I do? I look to the Bible, not as a set of rules, but as a set of guidelines to help me make the best choices available. And guess what? If I mess up, I'm not gonna get struck by lightning. ( on the other hand, I could do everything just right, and get struck by lightning). ( I'm beginning to wonder if lightning is overrated).

So, what do I do when I mess up? Get up and try again. Just like riding a bike. You get off the trail, you lean to far to the front, squeeze the brakes a little too hard, and wham, you wind up on the ground. Get up, try it again. If I were to ride my bike constantly in fear of doing something wrong, I would never ride my bike.

No comments: